1) Remove the stems from the mushrooms if present, then gently scrape out the ribs from the underside of the cap with a spoon. Slice the caps into ½ inch wide strips.
2) Soak the sliced mushrooms in whole milk for 1 to 2 minutes. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix well. Remove the sliced Mushrooms from the milk and gently toss in the flour mixture to coat well.
3) Remove mushrooms from flour and gently shake off excess flour. Deep fry at 350 degrees until golden brown and crispy (about 3-4 minutes). Remove from fryer, allow to drain and then toss with Parmesan cheese.
4) Serve immediately with pesto aioli (recipe follows)
Pesto Aioli (makes 1 cup)
¾ cup mayonnaise
½ cup fresh basil leaves
2 TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1) Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Blanch the basil leaves in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from water and chill. Drain leaves and pat dry.
2) In a food processor combine blanched basil, garlic, parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Pulse to combine. Turn on and allow mixture to puree, adding the olive oil slowly.
3) In a small bowl combine mayo and pesto mixture and mix well. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
You do not need to make pesto you can buy your favorite at the store and mix it to taste with mayo. I omit the pine nuts in my pesto to avoid guests with nut allergies.